Key Performance to Achieve Sustainability Management
Kia ensures a harmonious and sustainable future for all humankind and the environment through continuous technological development and mobility innovation.
100% Renewable Energy
At our Slovakia plant: 100% renewable energy power
- We contribute in reducing carbon emissions and making our business sites environmentally friendlier by relying our 100% of our electricity consumption on reusable energy
Environmental and safety certifications
Among all 8 global plants, 3 domestic plants and 3 overseas plants (75%) had been certified
- established integrated environmental and safety management system
- acquired international certifications (ISO14001·45001)
- The plants in the United States and India plan to obtain the certification by 2021, with the goal of achieving integrated environmental and safety management systems across our entire global network by 2022.
Green Bond Issuance
Our first/second green bond for future green mobility investments issued in 2021, approximately valued at 300 billion KRW domestically and 700 million USD internationally.
100% Water Recycling
Zero net wastewater discharge at Indian plant sites.
- In 2019, Kia implemented a 100% wastewater recycling system from the designing stage of the Indian plants
More than two hundred thousand eco-friendly vehicles
219k eco-friendly vehicles sold in 2020.(wholesale)
- In the preceding two years of 2019 and 2018, 154k and 147k eco-friendly units were sold, respectively. (wholesale)
- Over 42% of the increase in sales in 2020 compared to the previous year
- Sales target of 1.6M eco-friendly vehicles by 2030
- Eco-friendly vehicles revenue in 2020(unit : KRW billion) : 7,308 (Wholesale, Managerial Accounting)
- HEV 3,382 + PHEV 1,435 + EV 2,491
A 2021 goal of 12.1B KRW in green investment
Transition into an eco-friendly company by increasing overall green investment
- Green investment of 4.1B KRW in 2020
- Devotion of 12.1B KRW-which has tripled from 2020-to install anti-pollution facilities in 2021
Establishment of the fair competition principles
- Founded the fair competition principles to ensure clear and honest competition
ESG assessment of suppliers
- ESG assessment of 20 key suppliers based on factors such as ethical management and efforts to reduce environmental impact.
- Recommendations and monitoring to improve the ESG guidelines conformity
Support for employees and local communities against Covid-19
- Distribution of KF-94 facemasks for employees and community groups to ensure absolute safety and health wellbeing
- In a total of 5.2M facemasks internal distributions and donation of 100K facemasks to 16 regional fire departments in 2020
- Utilized Kia's education and training centers as temporary quarantine facilities
Raising ESG awareness
‘Move Plus’: provided visualized contents to raise organizational awareness of ESG to employees Effective results of employees clarifying terms and grasping concepts in sustainable management
Human Rights Charter Guidance for employees
Establishment of a sustainability management policy and provision of education
- Publication of Kia’s Human Rights Charter, Code of Ethics, and Code of Conduct for suppliers
- 60% of all of our office employees completed education on the Human Rights Charter
Installation of Sustainability Management Committee within the Board of Directors.
- Augmented the existing Sustainability Management Committee with an additional role to review ESG agendas to strengthen companywide sustainable management.
Valuing our shareholders
Implementation of shareholder-friendliness
- Introduction of an electronic voting system for enhancing voting rights (previously held in person or delegation)
- Notice given four-week prior to a general shareholder meeting.
Diversity & Expertise in Board of Directors
Appointment of female outside director
- Female auditor nominated as an independent director to reinforce with diversified expertise (March 2021)
External auditor training sessions
- Provision of two training programs with the latest information on internal control and audits, including internal accounting management systems, audit plans, and key audit matters.
Amplified operation of the internal ESG Council
- Semi-annual ESG Council meetings to effectively respond to ESG issues
- Council reports and conclusions directed to the Board and management
Domestic and Global ESG Ratings
(Korea Corporate Governance Service)
2020 Integrated Rating: A+
Environmental: A+ / Social: A+ / Corporate Governance: A
* As of November 2021
|26.7 Medium Risk|
Climate Change A / Water Security A
(Selected as Honors Club for 2 consecutive years in climate change sector, awarded the first grand prize as an OEM company in the water security sector)